Sunday 21 August 2016

DIY Scratch Cards

I thought I'd dig out an old technique this week and show you how to make your own scratch cards.  I've used mine to conceal part of my sentiment in a balloon but you could make your own games for your kids, do "sex of the baby" reveal cards - the sky is the limit once you know the really simple trick!


I used Avery Elle's Skating By and added a sentiment in the balloon. I coloured the image with pencils as its a one layer card.  You normally do scratch cards with gold or silver paint but to be honest, I couldn't find mine so I decided to see if it would work with white and it did just fine so you could use any colour paint you like.  

The trick is that you must use acrylic paint and then you mix it 2 parts paint to 1 part washing up liquid (ideally a clear or pale coloured one!).  All you need to do then is paint it onto the area you want to conceal in a thin layer (you need a little patience for this technique) and let it COMPLETELY dry before adding the next.  It will take at least 3 layers to conceal the image and become thick enough to scratch off.  If you go east to west on the first layer, go north to south on the second etc.   When I learnt how to do this technique I was taught to have clear packing tape on the card and to paint the scratch off mixture onto that.  I don't find that stage necessary and just paint directly onto the card as long as its smooth (anything bumpy like watercolour card would leave paint behind when you scratch it back off)

Here's how it would look after the recipient has done the scratching.


That's all the creativity I could muster this week!      Catch you on the flip side.

Tara




NEWS FROM THE STORE

  • The long awaited Fall release from Lawn Fawn will arrive this week and will be live on Friday once it is available stateside.
  • We have also got our order in for the new Newtons Nook release and hope to have that by the end of the week too.
  • Still waiting on Hero Arts - sorry :(   It is coming soon I hope!
  • Our monthly challenge - all about geometry - closes on Friday at 10pm so you've only got 5 days to join in!   Check the challenge tab at the top of the blog.

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant technique x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had any issues with any of the techniques you've shown us on here, so I will definitely give this a go at some point! Waiting to see what Sugar Pea will come up with this month :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team